Monday, May 6, 2013

Spathoglottis "Ground Orchid"

The spathoglottis also came from Zack at Steven's work. It has grown quickly also. I just realized yesterday that I think it might need to be repotted again soon because the pot looks like it's about to burst. We have it in a 1 gallon plastic pot in potting soil. For the first 6 months or so that we had it, it was growing new pseudobulbs and leaves well, but it wasn't showing any signs of flowering. After looking it up online I found out that it is a heavy feeder. I added some nutricote and a little bit of Osmocote to it and after a couple of months it started flowering! It's the pink kind. It has been consistently flowering since then. We have been keeping it outside instead of on the porch because it had mealy bugs and something outside seems to keep them under better control. The older leaves started turning yellow and looking ugly. I'm still not sure if that's because it's getting too much light, or some other problem. That was the reason so many of our other orchids were turning yellow and dropping leaves, so I've moved it onto the porch (away from the others) to see how it does. I water it when it gets dry. It was living outside so it stayed wetter if it was raining a lot. It doesn't seem to be too picky.

No comments:

Post a Comment