Monday, August 19, 2013

Maybe the Catasetum isn't dying after all

After all my concern, I think it is just doing what it's supposed to do. I was so worried because the leaves were turning yellow then brown and falling off. I wondered if it was the nature deciduousness of the leaves preparing for the dormant season, but it seemed too early in the year. I still don't know if it's too early in the year, but I think the leaves were falling off naturally. Now there are two buds for flowering spikes!!! So of course I have started Bloom boosting it with Dyna Gro- Bloom when I water. I wonder still if the plant is just going according to its natural schedule, or if all the moving and strange water and light regimes haven't disturbed its normal schedule. Maybe my problem is that I can't believe it's nearing the end of August and therefore is almost fall! I am super excited to see what the flowers on this thing are going to look like. I'm assuming they're going to be yellow, based on the name of it.
 
 
Steven and I talked about how we were going to deal with it over the winter and next year. It will need to go in a bigger pot because next years new growth will be over the edge of the current pot. I think we will take it out of its current plastic pot when we first stop watering it to let it dry out. Then we will just rest it in a 4-6" clay pot loosely and dampen the moss/potting medium occasionally so the roots don't dry out too much. I did a bunch of research online, and several sources said it's important not to let the roots dry out too much otherwise they will die and you'll have a weaker plant next year. We will reduce watering a little- to probably just once a week, until it's done flowering and even more until all the leaves are off. Once all the leaves fall off, or mid-November arrives it won't get any more water- whichever comes first.  

No comments:

Post a Comment