Sunday, September 8, 2013

We're Slowing Down

It seems like the plants are overall slowing down for the winter. They seem to be finishing developing their existing new growths, and only a few appear to be planning any more new growths. Last winter some kept growing over the winter, but most didn't. I was a little disappointed with the amount of growth we had this year, but I decided to blame that on the double move. They didn't get the light or water or fertilizer they needed consistently because of the moving. Oh well, there's always next year.

I'm a little sad because I don't know if cattleya cernua will flower this year. Last year it flowered in September, and there are no signs of flowering- only growing. Maybe the new growths it's making now will make flowers, and it is just behind this year. I'm crossing my fingers.

It's a little sad to see them go into winter mode when I wish they had grown more this growing season. We still don't know what we will do with them over the winter. We have them on a screen porch right now that will be okay for another month or two, but not longer than that. There's very little room for them inside the house, except for a few lower light ones. There's a greenhouse place that grows and sells orchids in this area that also rents bench space in their greenhouse. We are considering doing that because it's not too expensive. We are really worried about cooties though. Greenhouses always seem to have bugs and fungus etc. that none of very few of our plants have had a problem with in the past. I don't want to get into having to treat them regularly if I don't have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment