Monday, August 5, 2013

Dendrochilum wenzellii- red

From Redland Orchid Festival 2013. Steven had been wishing for one of these after seeing a huge one at a show over the winter. We looked all over for an affordable red one at the show. The vendor told us to grow it like a cattleya. That's what we have been trying to do, but it is having issues with the leaf tips. They turned brown and yellow. I'm not sure if that's from too much sun or not enough water. I tried looking it up today and it might be both. It is growing in a little tiny 1" plastic basket with sphagnum moss. We are going to leave it alone in that until it starts making too many roots or growing over it. It hasn't grown at all since we've had it. I'm a little worried about it, but don't know what else to do. I will try and pay better attention to it drying out. Because it's so small it dries out faster than our other plants that I only water weekly. It may have also gotten too much sun while it lived in the greenhouse. I don't think it will be getting too much sun anymore here in North Carolina because we have less sun available on the porch here.

No comments:

Post a Comment