Friday, January 9, 2015

Tangerine has finally flowered!!

BLC "Sweet Treat" (BLC "Pokai Tangerine" x Cattleya "Chocolate Drop") or Tangerine as I refer to it- has finally flowered after 3 years! It only made 1 flower because it is only it's first time flowering, but it was exciting nonetheless! We didn't really know what it would look like. I think most of what made it flower this year was just size and maturity. I also moved it partway through the summer to get a bit more light and it liked that. I also misted the roots that are all outside the basket daily or every other day.



We are excited that it bloomed finally, but to be honest we are not that excited about how it looks. We are thinking about contributing it for the raffle at the Orchid Society meeting. It's hard though because I have gotten kind of attached to it, taking care of it the last 3 years. There's also the fact that we can apparently have success with it, which is more than I can say for some of our plants. We know how to grow Cattleyas, Oncidiums and Phals, but don't have much luck with some of the other things- like Paphs and vandaceous things.

No comments:

Post a Comment