Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Phragmipediums


We have been watering all three of the phrags everyday because they like to have a lot of water, and it's hot in the greenhouse. 

The phrag bessae hybrid is also still sitting in it's water dish. I wrote last month that the leaf tips were browning, and that I cut them off. This happened in the past from not getting enough water. We are watering it plenty now, and the tips are browning again. This requires some investigating. My ideas are that either 
1. there's a root problem and it's not able to take in the water. 
2. It doesn't like the water quality of the city water/too much fertilizer
3. it's too hot

I want to get it figured out because it is making a flowering spike. The buds have turned brown before with the leaves, so I want to fix the problem before that happens! 



I want to unpot it and check on the medium to see if it's rotting, and therefore rotting my roots. I also don't want to repot it right now because it is trying to flower. It's a catch-22. I think we will unpot it and check the roots and hope it flowers again. I think we might be able to do it without mangling the roots too much. I think we will also plant it in a clay pot instead of plastic to keep the roots cooler. 

If it's a water quality problem that is more annoying. We have plans to set up rain barrels but haven't had the chance yet. 

If it's a heat problem we are working on that for the sake of all the babies.

Phrag longifolium and Phrag kovachii x schlimii are both looking really good. No leaf tip browning really for them. 

Kovachii seems to finally be picking up and looking happy. I think it wanted more regular watering. We also sprayed it to get rid of any cooties it had. Hopefully it will continue to do well! I have been fertilizing!

No comments:

Post a Comment