Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Masdevallia veitchiana for my birthday!

Steven gave me a Masdevalia veitchiana for my birthday this year. I have been hankering after a Masdevalia for two years now, since I saw red ones at the Redland Show.


I've added pretty much all the pictures I have of it because it is so pretty. The pinkish color is little magenta pink hairs that are on the orangey flower. I couldn't really get photos of the hairs. It has two flowers right now and another spike that is growing.




It's planted in a 4 inch plastic pot with bark mix. It looks really healthy for the most part. We had to cut one leaf off, that was turning yellow from the tip. I also sprayed it with copper fungicide. I think spray everything might be my new motto. Nothing else has looked suspicious since then. I haven't researched it extensively yet. My understanding is that it is from higher elevations so it can't take the heat. It wants medium to low sun-not much more than Phals and Paphs. It doesn't want to completely dry out- especially not if it is hot. I think it will be too hot here for it sometimes in the summer- especially in our little greenhouse. We might have to keep it in the house in the air conditioning. I read they prefer 75-80 daytime and 55-60 at night.







No comments:

Post a Comment