Saturday, January 11, 2014

Catasetum is growing again already

I was so surprised when this started growing already about a month ago.
 

 
This one is from today.
 
 
 
I haven't started watering or fertilizing. Several of the things I read say to wait until the roots are a few inches long before watering and fertilizing again. We also need to repot it. There's not enough room in the current pot for another big pseudobulb. I have been occasionally splashing the roots with water so they don't dry out so much that they die. I think this plant is just on a non-standard schedule. You would think it would start growing in the spring, but it's the middle of winter. When we bought it in March though, last year, it had a pretty substantial new growth on it already, so it probably starting growing again this time last year. I'm having to rotate the plant often because the new growth keeps bending towards the sun. If this new growth does well I might not mind having more of these plants. I would look for a solid colored one. I saw a really pretty completely yellow one at the Orchid Trail, our babysitting place. This plant has been living at home though because it doesn't want watering yet and there's no leaves to need sun either. Now I'm anxiously awaiting for it to start making roots!

No comments:

Post a Comment